Severe Weather Warnings

HOUSE FIRE: Two Dead In Sioux City Blaze

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Grief counselors are helping students and faculty cope after the deaths of two Northwest Iowa School District employees were killed in a house fire.

The bodies of Susan and Stephen Smid were found by a family member in the couple’s Sioux City home on Thursday morning.

The two died of smoke inhalation from a fire that broke out on their kitchen stove, authorities said.

Susan taught music in the district for 16 years.

Her husband Stephen worked for the food service department.

Parents can help their children cope with the news by using age appropriate language and by simply listening to them, according to the school district’s head counselor.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.