Flash Flood Warning

GILBERT FIRE: Grain Elevator Burns

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Investigators are trying to figure out what started an afternoon fire at a grain elevator.

The fire started around noon in Gilbert at the key cooperative building.

Crews had to call in the Ames ladder truck to help reach the fire.

The Gilbert Fire Chief said sometimes it is important to call for help.

“With grain elevators there is always a concern for explosions from the grain dust.  This was likely a spontaneous combustion inside the bin,” said John Berg, Gilbert Fire Chief.

The fire is believed to be the result of spontaneous combustion as the bin had no electrical or moving equipment inside it.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.