Weather Alerts

Attempt to Thaw Pipes Catches Home on Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Fire at trailer was caused by  attempting to thaw frozen pipes. (WHO-HD)

Fire at trailer was caused by attempting to thaw frozen pipes. (WHO-HD)

DES MOINES, Iowa — It started as an effort to keep warm but then things got way too hot for a Des Moines family Monday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to a mobile home park off of Aurora Avenue at around 4:00 p.m.

Police say the owner was using a propane torch to thaw waterlines and accidentally caught the home on fire. Nobody was hurt.


  • Fred Pherlps (@FredPherlps)

    Des Moines will give millions to developers for upscale housing for people nowhere near poverty, but haven’t been able how to convert trailer home owners into townhome owners with self governing owner associations. Half these “park” owners also finance the used run down trailers on them and have people in impossible situations where they think they “own” but then end up as double dipped glorified renters.

    • So be it

      Fred, so where are the trailer owners suppose to come up with the money to buy the land from the park owner? On top of this where are they suppose to come up with the money to pay lawyers to create the association, subdivide the park so that each owner owns there land, then put all the covenants in place to have the association be able to run it. On top of this, all the trailers will need to be permanently put in place on the land. On top of this what does Iowa law say about doing this.

  • marcie

    It seems every year I read a story about someone who uses a blow torch to thaw water lines and then causes a house fire.

Comments are closed.