John Kerry: ‘Zero’ Interest in Second White House Bid

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WASHINGTON — While diplomats often dance around questions and can be reluctant to give decisive answers, that was not the case when CNN’s Jake Tapper asked Secretary of State John Kerry if he had any inklings of getting back into presidential campaign mode.

“None. Zero. Absolutely none whatsoever. I have a great job, we have a lot of work to do in the next year and a half and I’m looking forward to it,” he said during an interview that aired Sunday on “State of the Union.”

If Kerry were to run, he would be taking on his predecessor, Hillary Clinton.

In a CNN/ORC poll taken of March of last year, 45% of respondents said they had a favorable opinion of Kerry, while 41% said they had an unfavorable one.

Kerry took over as secretary of state in February 2013 after having served nearly 30 years as U.S. senator from Massachusetts.

As the 2004 Democratic Party nominee, Kerry was hit with criticism in the general election campaign when he said he voted for an Iraq War funding bill “before I voted against it.” The Bush campaign seized on the moment and used it in ads against Kerry, charging he was a flip-flopper.

He went on to lose the election against incumbent President George W. Bush.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.