DES MOINES, Iowa – A fourth person has been arrested in connection with a Des Moines double homicide case.
Police said that Luis Magallon, 18, of Des Moines, was arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree robbery. Magallon had been identified as a person of interest in the investigation of the fatal shooting of Mohammad Nabeel Mirzai, 19, of Des Moines, and Demetrius Thomas, 20, of Des Moines on September 11.
Magallon is the fourth person facing charges in connection with the case.
On Tuesday, investigators announced that Albert Jeffrey Garcia, 20, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths.
Shamair Gainey, 20, and Roberto Baez-Alvarez, 18, both of Des Moines, are also facing two counts of first-degree robbery in the case. Investigators filed the charges stating Gainey and Baez-Alvarez played a role in events leading to the murders.
Police responded to 22nd Street and Carpenter Avenue shortly before 2 a.m. on Friday, September 11. Police discovered a body in the middle of the street at that location. While investigating the scene, another body was discovered shortly after in the backyard of a home in the 1300 block of 22nd Street.
Police say when they were handed the case they had little information to go on.
“This one we started out with a legitimate who done it. We had two unidentified murder victims and no witnesses so this was just some fantastic old-fashioned police work,” says Sgt. Paul Parizek with the Des Moines Police Department.
The homicides are the 9th and 10th of 2015 in Des Moines.