Waterloo Residents Jump From Apartment Building to Escape Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WATERLOO, Iowa – Residents of an apartment building jumped out of a window to escape a fire on Sunday night.

The incident happened at approximately 9:30 p.m. Fire officials said the flames started in the garbage of a laundry room, where a cigarette was likely thrown away.

Samantha Kirby and her 9-year-old son were home alone at the time. After smelling smoke spread through the apartment building, Kirby knew the only way out was the window.

"When I got into my kitchen I could smell the smoke but it wasn't on fire in my apartment so I opened up the front door and that's when I seen all the black smoke," Kirby said.

She rushed her son to the ledge and helped him jump to the ground, before she followed.

"If I was going to die it was going to be from jumping out this window not from the fire," Kirby said.