Flood Warning

Fire Starts Inside Panda Garden in Newton

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEWTON, Iowa -- A fire started in the kitchen of Panda Garden on Sunday night, according to witnesses at the scene.

The fire began at approximately 6 p.m. as customers and employees were inside. No one was hurt.

It likely started in the stove and spread up to the ceiling.  At least six other businesses suffered smoke damage, including a mortgage company, dress shop and county building, according to witnesses.

The majority of the apartments above the stores are being remodeled, but for the people who do live there, they will have to find a place to stay for at least the night.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.