High School Football Scores

9 People, 2 Families Displaced after Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DES MONES, Iowa --Nine people were displaced from their home Friday after a fire broke out in a Des Moines residence.

Des Moines Fire Lt. Chad Smeins said crews were called to 2201 E 12th St. about 5:30 p.m. He said heavy smoke and flames were showing from the second story upon arrival.

Fire crews were able to get inside the home as soon as they arrived and knock out the fire quickly.

Smeins said they believe the fire was caused by an unattended candle in a bathroom, which caused extensive damage. He said there is more than $20,000 in damages.

Two families lived in the residence, but there were only three or four people home at the time of the blaze. They got out safely before authorities arrived.

Smeins said crews successfully rescued pets from the home.

The Red Cross was called in to help the two families with lodging and clothing.