Wind Advisory

Fire Destroys Stuart Sale Barn

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STUART, Iowa -- Six fire crews poured in from neighboring towns to help put out a fire at the Stuart Sale Barn on Sunday night.

Crews say the livestock barn located at 523 Front Street in Stuart is a total loss due to the fire that began at around 6:45 p.m.

No one was hurt in the fire, although the Stuart fire chief says 10 to 12 goats were found dead.

The fire started in the back of the barn in a pen that held the livestock. The heavy winds helped push the fire toward the building until it sparked.

"I didn't believe it. We received a call before about the Sale Barn being on fire but it wasn't," said Sarah Gomez, the niece of the owner. "I didn't want to believe it. We live in Earlham and we got on the Interstate and we could see the smoke. I cried all the way here and it's definitely heartbreaking."

Officials still don't know what exactly caused the fire and will continue to investigate.

"It was devastating, you think about where do you go from here?" Gomez said. "What do we do now? What do we do now every other Saturday night when it was sale night? The Sale Barn was a community of its own and it's just heartbreaking."

Google Map for coordinates 41.503703 by -94.308622.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.