DES MOINES, Iowa -- The Des Moines Fire Department is accepting fan donations on behalf of organization Impact Community Action Partnership, which helps people in poverty.
“You know, those long nights in the Des Moines area with the extensive heat, issues with security, where they don't feel comfortable leaving their windows open, it does cool down in the evening. We do want to get them those fans so they can cool down and sleep,” said Brian O'Keef, public information officer with the Des Moines Fire Department.
If you want to help, just bring a new fan to any of the fire stations. Officials ask that you keep the fan in its original packaging and include the instructions.
Contact IMPACT at 515-248-6216 or www.impactcap.org for more information or to determine if you are qualified to receive assistance.
Understand that the firefighters may be out on an emergency call and not be at the fire station when you drop-off your fan, so please call ahead or leave the fan by the front door.
Here is a list of all the Des Moines fire stations:
- Fire Station One is located at 1330 Mulberry St. It serves the main downtown area.
- Fire Station Two is located at 1727 E Walnut St. It serves a large area of the east side of the city.
- Fire Station Three is located at 2458 Easton Blvd. It serves the east and northeast areas of the city.
- Fire Station Four is located at 917 University Ave. It serves the central and north-central areas of the city.
- Fire Station Five is located at 711 42nd St. It serves the central and west central areas of the city.
- Fire Station Six is located at 1919 SE 6th St. It serves the south central and southeast areas of the city, and it is the home of the Water Emergency Team.
- Fire Station Seven is located at 3500 East 12th St. It serves the north area of the city.
- Fire Station Eight is located at 1249 McKinley Ave. It serves the southern area of the city,
- Fire Station Nine is located at 4800 Douglas Ave. It serves the north and northwest areas of the city.
- Fire Station Ten is located at 5900 E Indianola Ave. It serves the south and southeast areas of the city.