Excessive Heat Warning

No Injuries Reported in Rural Ames Mobile Home Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fire at rural Ames mobile home park. (WHO-HD)

STORY COUNTY, Iowa — A rural Ames resident was able to escape a fire at his mobile home Monday morning.

The fire happened at 2279 East 190th in a mobile home court northeast of Ames. The call came in around 8:39 a.m. Because it was so far from the Nevada Fire Station, mutual aid help was called in from Ames.

The fire fighters were able to knock the fire down.

The resident of the home was sleeping in the living room, when he was woken by a smoke detector.  He was able to get out, along with his dog.

“He actually has smoke alarms that he checks every month religiously,’ said Nevada Fire chief Ray Reynolds. “He’s got an older, home, but that is one thing he did religiously and that probably saved his life today.”

The fire was also contained by something else the resident did.

“Another thing that he did really well, is that he shut the door as he was leaving the structure so it kind of keeps the oxygen from going in at the fire,” said Reynolds. “I was looking for smoke all the way from Nevada,and didn’t see any, so I started to question whether we really had a fire.”

Once on scene fire crews could see smoke coming from the eves of the home. The local Red Cross was called to help provide lodging for the resident, as his home was heavily damaged by smoke.



Google Map for coordinates 42.078788 by -93.579966.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.