Gas Leak Causes Police to Evacuate Des Moines Homes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DES MOINES, Iowa  --  Several homes in Des Moines were evacuated on Friday afternoon because of a gas leak.

A contractor accidentally hit a 4-inch gas line near 25th and Center Streets. Both MidAmerican Energy and hazmat crews responded, and police also closed a two-block area around the leak and evacuated the adjacent homes.

No one was injured and repairs were expected to take several hours.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.