Flood Warning

Source of Fatal Carbon Monoxide Leak in Newton Still Not Released

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEWTON, Iowa  --  Authorities in Newton have identified the victim of a carbon monoxide leak on Memorial Day, but not the source of the leak.

Melvin Boyd was found dead in his apartment on Monday after firefighters and police responded to a report of a gas leak.  The entire apartment building had to be evacuated and ventilated due to toxic levels of carbon monoxide.

Once the building was cleared other residents were allowed to re-enter their apartments.  The Newton Fire Department says the source of the carbon monoxide leak hasn't been identified.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.