DES MOINES, Iowa -- Des Moines Public Schools begins its free summer lunch program on Monday.
Twenty-eight sites will serve free meals to children 18 years old and younger. Director of Food Nutrition Management for DMPS Amanda Miller said any child can receive a free meal and they do not need to provide any form of identification.
“This program is unique, because it doesn’t matter of income. Anyone that is 18 years and younger can come and get a meal. It doesn’t matter where you live in the city. It doesn’t even matter if you’re from Des Moines. It truly is an open meal site. If you live in New York City and you are here visiting grandma for the summer, you can come to Union Park and get a meal,” Miller said.
Miller said the free lunch program is funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Des Moines Schools.
“We are trying to streamline to find the most amount of kids in a single spot that we can. That’s been a challenge. It is hard to get people to come to the schools all of the time, and we are really trying to open up the schools to allow the community members in,” Miller said.
People can find a free meal at the following locations:
- Callanan Middle School, 3010 Center St.
- Capitol View Elementary, 320 E. 16th St.
- Cattell Elementary, 3101 E. 12th St.
- Carver Elementary School, 705 E. University
- Crivaro Park, S.E. 14th and Railroad
- Findley Elementary School, 3025 Oxford
- Garton Elementary School, 3300 E. 29th St.
- Hiatt Middle School, 1214 E. 15th St.
- Hillis Elementary School, 2401 56th St.
- King Elementary, 1849 Forest Ave.
- Meredith Middle School, 4827 Madison Ave.
- Monroe Elementary School, 2250 30th
- Moore Elementary School, 3716 50th St.
- Morris Elementary School, 1401 Geil
- Moulton Elementary School 1541 8th St.
- Oakridge Neighborhood Center, 926 Oakridge Dr.
- Oak Park Elementary, 3928 6th Ave.
- Pioneer- Columbus Park, S.E. 5th and Hartford
- Rails Academy, 1000 Porter
- River Woods Elementary, 2929 SE 22nd St.
- Samuelson Elementary School, 3929 Bel Aire
- South Suburban YMCA, 401 E. Army Post Rd.
- South Union Elementary, 4201 South Union St.
- Stowe Elementary School, 1411 E. 33rd St.
- Union Park, East 9th and Jefferson Ave.
- Weeks Middle School, 901 SE Park Ave.
- Windsor Elementary School, 5912 University Ave.
Miller said students will receive a variety of items like vegetables, yogurt, sandwiches, fruit cups, string cheese, and more.
The sites will serve lunch Monday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The free summer meals run from June 4th - 29th and July 9th - 27th.