Des Moines Fire Responds to Utility Pole Fire During Saturday’s Storm

DES MOINES, Iowa — The Des Moines Fire Department was on scene at the 2900 block of Scott Avenue Saturday afternoon.

A utility pole caught fire from the inside. Smoke was seen coming out of the pole.

A resident told Channel 13 he saw the pole spark a flame and that’s when he called 911.

Firefighters on scene said they believe rain and a wire shortage at the top of the pole caused electricity to shoot down the pole, causing a fire.

Fire crews worked to ensure the telephone lines did not fall onto the nearby fence, fearing it could send electricity through the ground.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.