Marshalltown Homeowner Welding in Garage Starts Fire After Sparks Land on Nearby Combustibles

WHO-HD

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa — A welding accident in Marshalltown started a fire that destroyed a garage and caused damage to neighboring properties, authorities said.

Marshalltown police and fire crews responded to a garage fire behind 708 Noble Street at 4:51 p.m. Tuesday. En route to the fire, neighbors advised dispatchers that they heard an explosion. When firefighters arrived, they found a garage on fire with flames spreading to an adjacent garage on the same property.

Firefighters said it took a while to extinguish the fire because of a large amount of flammable liquids stored inside the garage.

The garage the fire originated is a total loss, and there is fire damage to the adjacent garage and two neighboring garages. Firefighters estimate the damage at $20,000.

Authorities said an investigation revealed the homeowner was welding inside the garage and sparks caught nearby combustibles and fireworks on fire.

No one was injured in the fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.