Waterloo Man Dies in House Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

WATERLOO, Iowa  --  An eastern Iowa man was killed when his house caught fire.

A neighbor reported smoke coming from a home  in Waterloo, and upon arrival firefighters forced their way inside. This is when they found 63-year-old Robert Smiley; investigators say he died of smoke inhalation.

Putting the fire out was also a challenge. Firefighters had to use a second hydrant because the one closest to the home was frozen. Investigators say the fire started in the basement, but they have not yet determined the cause.

Fifty-three other Iowans died in fires in 2017, which is the highest number of fire-related deaths since 1993.


Latest News

More News